The opening of Equinix‘s new International Business Exchange ™ (IBX®) data center in Melbourne has given our customers and our company plenty of reasons to celebrate. ME1 helps meet rising demand for data center services in a vibrant city in the fast-growing Asia-Pacific region. Here are 10 reasons to welcome the opening of ME1, in no particular order:
- A New Market: ME1 is our first facility in Melbourne, Australia’s second-largest market and the capital city of Victoria, a state that accounts for a quarter of Australia’s gross domestic product. With the opening of ME1, Equinix now operates in eight markets in Asia-Pacific.
- Expanded Interconnection: The addition of ME1 extends the ability of Platform Equinix™ to offer premium interconnection worldwide. Our platform includes 100+ data centers on five continents and is home to 1,000+ network service providers. The addition of Melbourne gives customers new routes to interconnect with services, customers and partners globally.
- Great Neighbors: ME1 is about an 8-hour drive southwest of Sydney, where we operate the three most network-dense data centers in Australia. That makes ME1 part of an Equinix Australia team with deep data center expertise. Meanwhile, our Melbourne facilities give global services providers a new Australian location to ensure redundant and resilient connectivity.
- A Cloud Hub: ME1 adds data center capacity to a country that’s all about cloud expansion. A recent Dimensional Research survey indicated that 85% of Australian enterprises are planning to deploy to multiple clouds within the next 12 months. With 500 cloud service providers and 1,000 networks on Platform Equinix, we’re built to meet this demand.
- Prime location: Our Melbourne data center is located less than two miles from Melbourne’s central business district and just 17 miles from the Melbourne International Airport. It’s close to the city’s key commerce centers and easily accessible to companies outside the region who are considering entering a new Asia-Pacific market with Equinix.
- Green by Design: Equinix has been building energy-efficient facilities from day one. Our existing data centers are constantly being improved with the latest innovations, and our newest data centers are at the forefront of green design. ME1 meets the standards of the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Green Building Rating System. It also features evaporative coolers to support low power usage effectiveness (PUE), an important measure of data center power efficiency.
- Room to Stretch: ME1 is opening with 375 cabinets, but there’s room for lots more. Future expansion will accommodate an additional 1,125 cabinets and more than 105,000 square feet of colocation space.
- In Good Company: ME1 is renowned as one of Equinix’s “Big Five,” the five data centers we’re opening in 2015 on four continents. The Big Five are a major reminder of Equinix’s commitment to increase interconnection and invest where customer demand leads.
- Safety and Reliability: ME1 takes its place among the most secure and reliable data centers in the world. Equinix facilities are protected by 24/7 manned security and robust, tested procedures that are standard worldwide. Equinix also has a global uptime average of >99.9999% which means we keep the power on, no matter the circumstances.
- Faster Service Delivery: Bringing your IT into Melbourne increases geographic proximity to regional partners and markets. And proximity means lower network transmission times, faster data delivery and high-performance connectivity to Australia’s top markets.
Check out some great pictures of ME1.
Read about ME1 on the Equinix website.