Since last year’s AWS re:Invent conference, Equinix announced its collaboration with VMware and AWS to deliver private and secure hybrid cloud interconnection to VMware Cloud on AWS with Platform Equinix®. This joint solution enables our customers to establish multiple virtual private connections between on-premises vSphere environments and VMware Cloud on AWS using AWS Direct Connect and the Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric™ (ECX Fabric™). ECX Fabric allows organizations to reach VMware Cloud on AWS inside interconnected Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers, even if VMware Cloud on AWS is not local to your business location.
Building cloud adjacent hybrid architectures
At this year’s AWS re:Invent conference, in Las Vegas, NV, Nov. 26 – 30, 2018, we’ll be showing enterprise customers how to build cloud adjacent hybrid architectures to interconnect on-premises VMware infrastructures to VMware Cloud on AWS. This solution gives enterprises with an on-premises VMware infrastructure fast, seamless high performance, secure interconnection for building a hybrid cloud environment. The solution enables them to easily extend or migrate applications from an on-premises VMware environment to the VMware Cloud on AWS.
In our upcoming session at AWS re:Invent, “Build Cloud Adjacent Hybrid Architectures using VMware, AWS Direct Connect at Equinix” at 2:00 pm on Wednesday, November 28 in the VMware booth #2201, we’ll be discussing how IT organizations can leverage cloud adjacent hybrid architectures to overcome some of the cloud adoption barriers they face today, including:
- Interoperability between legacy installations and applications with hybrid/multicloud infrastructures
- Maintaining data privacy, security and compliance regulations
- Enabling performance consistency across hybrid on-premises and cloud infrastructures
- Preventing vendor lock-in and leveraging the best cloud provider for each application
Today’s enterprises must define workload placement and cloud strategy based on a number of trade-offs: cost, quality of service and risk. They have a variety of cloud deployment models that they can pick and choose from: SaaS/IaaS/PaaS, private cloud, public cloud, hybrid cloud and multicloud. They also must decide where to deploy these cloud infrastructures, either on-premises or with an interconnection and colocation data center platform provider or both.
In adjacent cloud hybrid architectures on Platform Equinix, enterprises can directly and securely interconnect their on-premises IT infrastructures within any of the 200 Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers worldwide to access dense network and cloud ecosystems. This hybrid cloud architecture enables enterprises to accelerate cloud adoption and performance, reduce complexity and cost, and optimize data security and compliance.
VMware Cloud on AWS via Direct Connect and ECX Cloud Exchange
With 66% of all enterprises having VMware installed on-premises, an adjacent hybrid cloud architecture can benefit these organizations by providing seamless interoperability between on-premises VMware and VMware Cloud on AWS environments. VMware customers are facing the very same challenges as every other enterprise when migrating to the cloud. They want to gain flexibility and performance, data security and compliance, and interoperability with legacy infrastructures by leveraging more cost-effective cloud platforms that allow them to shift business operating models from CAPEX to OPEX.
In our presentation, we’ll also discuss how moving on-premises VMware infrastructures into global Equinix IBX data centers to create cloud adjacent hybrid infrastructures (see diagram below), will enable you to realize the following benefits:
- High-Performance without Compromising on Data Security and Compliance: Realize high-performance, low-latency and cost-effective private connectivity to AWS, while maintaining strict data security and compliance controls, versus going over the public internet.
- Seamless workload Migration: Effectively and efficiently migrate VMware workloads from on-premises infrastructures to VMware Cloud on AWS.
- Data Center Extension: Extend on-premises VMware to VMware Cloud on AWS for greater scalability and global reach.
- Next-Gen Applications Development: Create a cloud-native architecture and an agile hybrid DevOps environment and develop next-gen applications by seamlessly integrating with native AWS services
- Disaster Recovery (DR): Leverage cost-effective DR and data backup in the cloud.
Equinix customers in 25 metros around the world can directly access VMware Cloud on AWS, based on VMware Cloud Foundation, by connecting to an AWS Direct Connect edge node deployed at Equinix IBX® data centers. Equinix customers can discover and dynamically connect to any other customer via any ECX Fabric-enabled location globally through an easy-to-use portal and a single connection to the Equinix platform.
“The global reach of the Equinix platform combined with the private and more secure connectivity Equinix provides to enterprises with on-premises VMware infrastructure to leverage the public cloud via AWS Direct Connect can help greatly expand the worldwide footprint of VMware Cloud on AWS,” said Mark Lohmeyer, senior vice president and general manager, Cloud Platform Business Unit, VMware. “Equinix, via ECX Fabric, is helping VMware deliver a stronger hybrid cloud service to customers that reduces the cost and effort associated with migrating applications to the cloud.”
Come to our “Build Cloud Adjacent Hybrid Architectures using VMware, AWS Direct Connect at Equinix” presentation in the VMware Booth #2201 and win an Apple Watch. Or visit us at the Equinix booth #1214, talk to our experts and get a free headshot!
Learn how a single interconnection and colocation data center platform can help you build high-performance, scalable, secure and cost-effective cloud adjacent hybrid architectures leveraging AWS Direct Connect and ECX Fabric on Platform Equinix®.
You may also want to check out:
- Contact us: VMwareOnAWS@equinix.com
- Blog: Exploring VMware Cloud on AWS Ecosystem Partners
- VMware Cloud on AWS at Equinix
- Blog: VMware Cloud on AWS at Equinix
- Equinix Website
- About Equinix