Equinix is thrilled to be sponsoring Google Cloud Next ’19 in San Francisco this week, for the fifth consecutive year. The conference brings together some of the brightest minds in tech for three days of networking, learning and problem solving. We’ll be talking about how it takes a powerful network to match the power of your cloud at our breakout session and cloud talk – we hope to see you there!
As one of four inaugural sponsors of Google Cloud Next five years ago, it’s worth reflecting on how far Equinix and Google have come in that time and the opportunities our work together represents for our joint customers and partners. Since we first announced Google Cloud Platform (GCP) availability on Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric™ (ECX Fabric™) in 2014 to our collaboration on the Monet digital gateway and Curie subsea cable routes expansions to Latin America, we have continued to deepen our relationship with Google.
Why the network matters to the cloud
The RightScale 2019 State of the Cloud report highlights a few realities about today’s enterprise cloud landscape- it’s hybrid (58%), it’s multicloud (84%) and businesses are hyper-focused on optimizing their existing use of the cloud (64%). Unsurprisingly, the second biggest focus area for the respondents surveyed in this report is moving more workloads to the cloud (58%).i
Cloud providers have made it so simple for enterprises to rapidly scale and decentralize their IT infrastructures that it’s been easy to overlook a critical element to success. That is, the power of your cloud is only as good as the power of your network. While many internet providers offer business connections of up to 100 Mbps, there may be some instances where they slow down to the average speed of the public internet (9.1 Mbps).ii So an enterprise that tries to build a distributed cloud architecture over the public internet is going to experience latency issues.
The new reality is this: Your network connections to the cloud must deliver the uptime, security and performance required to meet your most critical business needs and SLAs. Otherwise, you will be missing out on the main benefits that cloud offers – increased business agility, accelerated time to value and improved experiences for customers and users.
Why Google Cloud Platform and Equinix
Today, Equinix is one of Google’s leading providers of Google Cloud Interconnect (GCI), offering more Google Cloud Interconnect (GCI) dedicated locations than any other provider. Enterprises can extend their digital infrastructure across 200 Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data centers and connect directly to GCP and G Suite through Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric™ (ECX Fabric™) on Platform Equinix®. ECX Fabric is a software-defined interconnection solution that directly and securely connects private IT infrastructure to multiple network providers and cloud platforms within minutes over high-speed, low-latency virtualized connections. Through our partnership with Google, we are reinforcing the power of a more agile, scalable and optimized network.
Direct connections to Google Cloud are available in 30+ Equinix markets, and 9 of these locations are less than 5 milliseconds (ms) from a GCP region, ideal for high value, low latency workloads such as enterprise filers and managed databases. Google Cloud customers who are not located in a GCP metro can remotely access the platform over ECX Fabric on Platform Equinix.
Customers have two options for creating private connections to GCP once they have connected their private networks into Equinix IBX data centers:
- Dedicated Interconnect: Customers can connect to GCP via 10 gigabits per second (10G) direct fiber cross connections.
- Partner Interconnect: Customers can directly connect to GCP via ECX Fabric, at flexible bandwidth options such as 50 megabits per second (Mbps) to 10 gigabits per second (Gbps).
In addition to enabling predictive, determinant performance via multi-tenant or dedicated connectivity, Equinix provides access to over 1,800 network providers and 2,900 cloud and IT providers across our global interconnection platform.
The power of interconnection
With enterprises and service providers continuing to build out their multicloud architectures and evaluate which workloads belong where, the ability to reach everywhere, interconnect everyone, integrate everything is more critical than ever before, and direct and secure interconnection underpins it all. We are excited about the possibilities our globally interconnected platform opens up with Google Cloud. When it comes to powering your cloud with the right underlying network, our best-of-breed partnership with GCP offers significant digital transformation advantages. At Google Cloud Next, the Equinix team will be on hand to discuss a few use cases our Platform Equinix enables such as the following:
- Cloud to cloud migration
- Innovate faster and at scale when you migrate to Google Cloud.
- Cloud migrations require a reliable and dedicated network. Equinix enables a physical or virtual network edge to be spun up in minutes NOT weeks.
- Migrating data between clouds via the public internet is more expensive and time consuming than private dedicated GCI connections from Equinix.
- Hybrid cloud modernization
- Run infrastructure on-prem while you leverage the security and scalability of the cloud.
- Migrate on-premises or private cloud workloads to Google Cloud Platform.
- Equinix provides dedicated, private connections to GCP for high-speed, low-latency performance.
- Compliance with data regulations requires maintaining data locally while being used globally. Cloud adjacent workloads can be run in country at Equinix in 52 markets across 5 continents, satisfying these requirements, while enabling access to advanced services from Google Cloud.
- Replicate your SAP applications over GCP for disaster recovery and back up
- Leverage lift and shift migration using tools such as Velostrata, so you do not have to re-build applications in the cloud and Google Cloud Interconnect for reliable connectivity
- Replicate SAP apps to Google Cloud Platform to eliminate secondary data centers, thus reducing costs
- Increase performance and reduce infrastructure costs with Google Cloud and Equinix.
Enterprise-grade performance with Equinix and Google
As an enterprise customer or service provider, the power of your cloud is only as good as your underlying network. Equinix and Google help you get them both digital ready with ECX Fabric and Google Cloud Interconnect. Come and see what’s Next with Equinix and Google at booth #1449. Check out the full schedule of Equinix events and schedule a meeting with our team.
To learn more about the power of the network for Google Cloud, download the white paper.