As our world continues to digitize, the pace of change is also accelerating. It took 62 years for automobiles to reach 50 million users. By contrast, it only took four years for Facebook to hit the same milestone, and, more recently, only 13 days for India’s COVID-19 contact tracing app to reach it[i] . Since our inception, Equinix has been a critical enabler of this rapidly digitizing world. Whether giving carriers a neutral place to interconnect, helping financial institutions gain ecosystem advantage or making the clouds enterprise ready—we have been an essential digital driver, enabling access to interconnected ecosystems.
Today the stakes are higher and the cycles of change are faster. Longstanding businesses are turning to service providers to help them build the digital infrastructure they need to leap ahead and gain competitive advantage. And companies born digital are looking for ways to expand their reach and accelerate their growth.
IDC - Worldwide Colocation and Interconnection Services 2019 - 2020 Vendor Assessment
IDC recognized Equinix as a leader in colocation and interconnection services in this inaugural IDC MarketScape report. Read this competitive assessment of nine interconnection and colocation service vendors to complement your understanding of key benefits of critical infrastructure provider Equinix.Download Now
As interconnection and data exchange between businesses and service providers continue to grow at an exponential rate—45% worldwide according to the Global Interconnection Index Volume 4[ii]—digital infrastructure is becoming increasingly global, interconnected and agile. Recognizing that together we can make a bigger impact, we are pursuing simplicity to accelerate our customers’ agenda across all that we do. We’re reimagining how we create and deliver value to innovate new products, solutions and approaches for our customers.
Here are three ways we are helping our customers grow:
1. Simplify and accelerate: We are simplifying the end-to-end customer experience and expanding our global reach to accelerate our customers’ journey to digital leadership. As the virtualized world disrupts IT, we keep our customers’ hands on the wheel. On Platform Equinix®, customers can manage how they architect and pace their entire digital transformation, from deploying their digital core to extending their digital edge. At the same time, our customers enjoy the security and control of traditional IT with all of today’s modern technology advantages, including software-defined interconnection, edge services and automated bare metal.
Today the global footprint of Platform Equinix spans more than 220 data centers across 63 markets and 26 countries, providing digital infrastructure and services for more than 10,000 of the world’s leading businesses. In addition to rolling out a globally consistent customer approach in 2021, we have announced the following Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center expansions, with more to come:
- AP: Australia (Melbourne and Perth), India, Japan (Osaka and Tokyo), Singapore (SG4 and SG5)
- EMEA: Europe (Frankfurt, London, Milan and Paris), Oman
- Americas: U.S. (Dallas and Washington, D.C.), Canada (multiple metros), Mexico
2. Amplify and scale: We are shortening our customers’ time to digital value and amplifying their success by delivering the solutions and services they need at scale. Platform Equinix gives our customers and partners one globally interconnected place to meet, interact and transact with all of the players in their business ecosystem. This significantly shortens the time, resources and effort required for them to create, consume and commercialize new digital value. For example:
- Vendor-neutral interconnection and edge services such as Equinix FabricTM and Network Edge enable customers to directly, securely and dynamically connect distributed infrastructure and extend to the edge in minutes across our global platform.
- Our interconnected bare metal service, Equinix MetalTM, allows our customers to deploy physical infrastructure at software speed and digitize at scale.
- Equinix Infrastructure Services (EIS) and Smart Hands® provide on-site assistance to customers that need help with IT infrastructure design, installation or support. These services have been essential to our customers during the COVID-19 pandemic lockdowns around the world.
- Our Solution Validation Centers® (SVCs) enable customers to test their deployments prior to roll-out.
3. Multiply opportunity: We are multiplying opportunity for our customers and partners through the power of ecosystems and digital exchanges. As complexity increases, we’re innovating to make it easier for our customers to access value in ways that accelerate their digital success. Platform Equinix already provides a high density of secure connections to rich global ecosystems that include more than half of the Fortune 500, 1,800+ networks, 2,900+ cloud and IT service providers, 1250+ financial services and 575+ content and digital media providers across 63 metros worldwide. Additionally, we are expanding customer and partner testbeds for emerging innovations such as the internet of things (IoT), 5G and artificial intelligence (AI).
Why Equinix is a trusted market leader
As the chart below illustrates, Equinix is positioned in the Leaders Category in the IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Colocation and Interconnection Services 2019-2020 Vendor Assessment for colocation and interconnection services. According to the IDC MarketScape, “Equinix’s strength is the company’s comprehensive global footprint that has seen its brand become synonymous with neutral colocation datacenters. It is at the center of the rapidly evolving cloud marketplace ecosystem that facilitates a wide range of interconnection between diverse entities ranging from network service providers, content providers, and public cloud providers to enterprises.”
See endnote[iii] for more details on this diagram.
As the world’s digital infrastructure company, we are focused on making it simpler and faster for our customers and partners to build their digital leadership on Platform Equinix.
To learn more, read the IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Colocation and Interconnection Services 2019-2020 Vendor Assessment.
[i] Visual Capitalist, How Long Does It Take to Hit 50 Million Users?, June 2018, Hindustan Times, Aarogya Setu has 50 million users in 13 days, beats ‘Pokémon GO’ record, Apr 2020.
[ii] Global Interconnection Index (GXI) Volume 4, a market study published by Equinix.
[iii] IDC diagram note: IDC MarketScape vendor analysis model is designed to provide an overview of the competitive fitness of ICT suppliers in a given market. The research methodology utilizes a rigorous scoring methodology based on both qualitative and quantitative criteria that results in a single graphical illustration of each vendor’s position within a given market. The Capabilities score measures vendor product, go-to-market and business execution in the short-term. The Strategy score measures alignment of vendor strategies with customer requirements in a 3-5-year timeframe. Vendor market share is represented by the size of the icons.