The tremendous challenges of this last year, both inside and outside of business settings, have made me reflect upon and appreciate how resilient we are as individuals. We’ve all been called upon to think more creatively to solve problems, support one another and, generally, get more comfortable with change and uncertainty ꟷ whether we’ve wanted to or not!
It’s a tide we’re weathering together and it has given me a new appreciation for how small gestures can make a big difference as we strive to enable our employees to bring their whole selves to work, able to confidently say “I’m safe, I belong and I matter.” Our company’s ability to not just survive but thrive during this time is a testament to the nearly 10,000 employees across the globe who are committed to come together with shared vision for a better world. This is truly what makes Equinix the amazing place it is.
A culture of “we before me”
The Equinix culture embraces a “we before me” mindset that reflects a collective commitment to come together each day to drive meaningful, sustainable progress for Equinix and the world. We practice an “in service to” approach to our work – this means we are in service to our employees, customers, shareholders and the communities where we do business.
Michelle Obama summed up this philosophy beautifully when she said, “Success [is] about the difference you make in people’s lives.” For me, this means we all have an obligation to look around and see who we can bring with us – as allies, as supporters – a core principle that is the foundation of our commitment to diversity, inclusion and belonging (DIB).
Join a growing global, collaborative team at Equinix
Equinix is committed to building an inclusive culture in which our employees can say that they are safe, they belong, and they matter.Learn More
Advancing diversity, inclusion and belonging together
At Equinix, we are committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace. We view our dedication to DIB not as a set of initiatives that one particular team owns, but rather a company priority where each of us strive to do our part.
This commitment inspired me to found our Equinix Women Leaders Network (EWLN). As an executive in the company, I saw the opportunity the company was missing by not having other women at the table. We have women with extraordinary talent in our global organization and EWLN created a forum to champion their growth, amplify their voice and remove barriers to impact.
Since the start of EWLN, we have expanded our focus and mandate to other dimensions of diversity. The lessons we learned through EWLN have helped us gain ground quickly and we’re now using that proven model to “pay it forward.” Today our DIB priorities include enhancing our ability to:
- Attract, retain and develop a diverse, global workforce, where we are creating new recruiting on-ramps and onboarding support for “returner” and “new to career” employees, as well as confirming equitable representation in leadership development programs.
- Instrument our leadership development to ensure DIB is part of our management training and that our senior leaders are getting 360-degree feedback on inclusive behaviors.
- Engage employees as DIB leaders who make a difference in advancing our culture, empowering underrepresented voices, and expanding our impact in our communities through our:
- Equinix Employee Connection Networks (EECNs) which bring together communities and allies in EWLN, PrideConnect, BlackConnect, GenteConnect, interASIANconnect, VetConnect, FaithConnect.
- WeAreEquinix teams which offer local employee groups the pathway to make tangible impact in embodying our purpose, a sense of belonging, service, sustainability and fun.
- Equinix Impact Team which has rallied to bring comfort, care and relief to the communities where we do business, as well as our own employees, and assist those impacted by the pandemic, as well as other unforeseen hardships.
- Allies Council which is composed of nearly 57 SVP and VP volunteers who act as advocates for underrepresented communities at Equinix, and invest in their own development as inclusive leaders who lead positive organizational change.
With bold action, a better future becomes possible
Our employees around the globe share a commitment to leave our world better than we found it. And our sleeves are rolled up!
We’ve embarked on a new journey that is changing how we build and scale our teams. For example, we’re investing in pathway programs to partner with organizations that connect us with people from different backgrounds and skill sets. We are expanding our university outreach to attract students graduating from both two- and four-year programs. By exploring new ways to connect with new talent, we are taking a proactive long-term approach to ensure that we build a diverse workforce for tomorrow.
While our work is far from finished, we are proud of the strides we’re making as a company, and grateful to our global employees for coming together to help create a better future. We have also been humbled by several prestigious accolades Equinix has recently received in recognition of our strategic vision, steadfast execution and vibrant culture:
- Fortune’s 2021 “Most Admired Companies” (published February 2021): For our first time, Equinix was included in this prestigious list of best-regarded companies in 52 industries based on criteria that includes investment value, quality of management and products, social responsibility, and ability to attract talent.
- Glassdoor’s Top 100 “Best Places to Work” (published January 2021): Unlike other awards, there is no self-nomination or application process to make; instead this recognition is entirely based on the feedback current and former employees have voluntarily and anonymously shared on Glassdoor.
- FairyGodBoss’ (FGB) recognition as “Best Company Where CEOs Support Gender Diversity” and “Best Company for Women” (published October 2020): FGB is the largest career community for women. Equinix’s top recognition by FGB is an incredible achievement that reflects CEO Charles Meyers’ vision for a diverse and equitable workplace and our collective team effort to actively work toward gender equity.
- Human Rights Campaign’s (HRC) 2021 Corporate Equality Index (CEI) (published January 2021): The HRC CEI is the foremost benchmarking report measuring corporate policies and practices related to LGBTQ+ workplace equality in the United States. In our inaugural year in the index, we received a score of 90 out of 100, marking an early milestone in our commitment of becoming a leading global employer for the LGBTQ+ community.
I am proud and grateful of how deeply invested and giving our employees are – of their time, energy and hearts. Their commitment to make a difference in our company and in the communities we serve fuels us all to keep pushing and reaching further in our quest to make an impact.
Learn more about Equinix opportunities by visiting our Careers page.
And check out “The Journey to Equinix”: